It’s been a chilly start to the Winter up here in the Blue Mountains and the slow cooker has been getting a workout. What with my baby boy (now 7 months - can you believe it?!) and my work keeping me pretty busy, I wanted to make sure I had super easy dinner options.
What can be easier than freezer to slow cooker?
Here are my favourite healthy slow cooker recipes. They are all WHOLE foods based, grain free (except for rice) and mostly dairy free (or with dairy free options).
Enjoy and tell us how you go with them!
To prep your freezer to slow cooker meals, it’s best to do a batch of a week or more at a time. I do a fortnight ahead and always a bit extra for leftovers.
You will need:
- Containers or zip loc bags
- Permanent marker and masking tape (for labelling)
- All ingredients for the recipes
- About an hour or two to prepare everything for one - two weeks
Start the process off by doing things like:
- Browning meats to boost their flavour (you can skip this step though be careful with poultry if you do)
- Dice onions
- Mince garlic
- Chop and pre-prepare your vegetables
- Gather herbs or freeze them fresh in a little oil to pop in for flavour
- Prepare ziploc bags or containers (we reuse any of our bags over and over again to avoid landfill)
All ready? Let’s go then!
Ginger-Cranberry Pork Roast by Jaimie and Jacinda over at Pretty Prudent.
Healthy Mama BBQ Chicken from over at 100 Days of Real Food
Back to Basics Beef Stew
Here is one of my all time favourites - Eco Mum's Chicken and Cashews. Yum!
For this recipe, to prepare for freezing, you need to pre-cook the chicken, and pre-cut and freeze veges seperately with the cashews. Add them last - for the final hour only. Everything else can go in after thawing so long as it has been pre-cooked.
So there you have it!
There are 10 reasons to fall in love with your Slow Cooker - AND your freezer!
Stay tuned for Part Two next week! :)
We're all busy and we can all use a hand every now and again. Hopefully you will find that this list of my Top 10 Slow Cooker Meals will help you out when you're feeling time poor and just that little bit over the-cooking-thing. Hey - we all get that way sometimes! ;)
Lots of love!