Here are some great gift ideas for you that ARE thoughtful, useful and helpful for Eco Mums. These are the gifts they REALLY want but are too shy to ask you for!
Arm yourself with knowledge and give them something they will positively swoon over.
Anything on this list guarantees immediate favoured presence in the hospital ward followed up by potential Godparenthood hehehe
- Clean her house, make her meals, wash her dog...
â¦Or rather, pay someone else to do it for you!
Instead of flowers or yet another lot of muslin wraps, why not turn up to hospital with a gift card from www.practicalgifts.com.au ? You can give the Eco Mum a week off from housework (which believe me they will LOVE you for after getting out of hospital!), meals made & delivered and even handyman services to do those last few nesty nesty things that were bugging her when she went into labour. Honestly - this has got to be the BEST thing for new Mums EVERYWHERE. Check it out www.practicalgifts.com.au
- Post Labour Recovery Pack - Make up a recovery pack; include things like a sitz bath (for bathing the delicate areas after an episiotomy), calendula numbing spray (for the same reason), lavender eye mask to help her drift off during those daytime naps, lavender & chamomile massage oil (on almond oil blend) for her lower back which will be sore as hell after carrying that extra weight in the front for so long & some herbs for use in teas etc to help her recover (nettle, rasberry, catnip, chamomile etc)
- Pamper Sesh - A voucher to her favourite hair salon valid for 6 months (coz it could take that long for her to get there) or arrange a mobile hair salon to go to her house (works for manis & pedis too especially from home - she can nurse bubba & get her toes done at the same time)
- Mama Massage - A voucher or booking for a mobile massage therapist for when she gets out of hospital. Sheâll be sore & emotional so a little TLC will go a long way for the new Eco Mumma.
- Mummies Day Off - Get some vouchers for the local cinema and a babysitting service if theyâve got other kids (a little break away for some Mama / Baby bonding will be heaven sent)
Nappy Service - For the real Eco Mum who goes the cloth nappy challenge a voucher for a nappy service will certainly be appreciated. There is a Modern Cloth Nappy service operating in Sydney and parts of the East Coast calledLavenderia NappyCare and other major cities sometimes have terry toweling services.
- Organic Goodies - Basket of pure organic products for use whilst breastfeeding; things like aluminium free deoderant (mineral crystal versions now available at Coles), organic facial cleanser & moisturiser, organic body wash & body moisturiser (Gaia have great baby products that I use & theyâre amazing plus totally organic & natural...plus theyâre available at Coles!) even go for organic sunscreen (as chemicals are absorbed straight from the skin into the breastmilk), petrochemical free lip balm is a good one too. This helps encourage a chemical free introduction into the world for her new bubba & if she has a hamper of goodies its easier for her to remember to make the switch.
- Preloaded ipod - An ipod nano pre-loaded with some audio books that you think sheâd like (things of a personal development nature are good for those that way inclined) or a few CDâs or meditations and soothing music for when sheâs breastfeeding in the wee hours of the morning.
- DVDâs - A boxed DVD set of her fave series (Sex & The City, Tudors, Entourage just to name a few) for witching hour feeds that take forever
- Himalayan Salt Crystal Lamp - these are used to promote a feeling of well being by releasing negative ions into the space in which they are placed. I have one in my nursery, right beside the breastfeeding chair. It makes the room feel so pleasant, soft, soothing, nurturing and calm. Negative ions are what you feel / breathe when around waterfalls, rainforests, beaches etc - they evoke a feeling of calmness and relaxation. (Conversely, positive ions are what are created by cars, air moving over concrete or metal etc and make you feel tense & stressed). Plus theyâre just beautiful to look at & are a great nightlight alternative in any nursery (soft pink light is thrown from them so theyâre perfect for any room which needs a more pleasant âvibeâ).
- House or Lounge Pants - Some super soft, super comfy & slightly baggy âhouse pantsâ (or pyjamas that donât look like pyjamas) so she can sloth around the house in comfy clothes without feeling too daggy. Every new mum needs to sloth - its a right of passage into motherhood so help her out by getting some soft & comfy funky fair trade threads. Perhaps you could get funky on the sewing machine!
Love and comfy house pants,
The Eco Mum xo
Grab them both now by clicking SUBSCRIBE below :)