Kombucha has been known to possess anti-viral, anti-bacterial, and anti-fungal components which make it an powerful addition to the health conscious individual. It has been used in the successful treatments of cancer, metabolic disorders, diabetes and other health issues for centuries, but also recently. There is a great history about K-Tea here at Kombucha Food blogspot.
· Acetic acid
· Carbonic acid
· Folic Acid
· Gluconic acid
· Glucuronic acid
· L(+) Lactic
· Usnic acid
· Amino acids (various types)
· Hydroxy acids (various types)
· Vitamin B1 (Thiamin)
· Vitamin B2(Riboflavin)
· Vitamin B3 (Niacin, niacinamide)
· Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine)
· Vitamin B12 (Cobalamin, cyanocobalamin)
· Vitamin C (from Lactic acid)
For example – I take a complex activated B vitamin every day. It has all the B group vitamins in it and the required acids to help with absorption. I get an instant lift taking this (or drinking a full 250ml glass of Stinging Nettle infusion – more on that here ) because the B group vitamins are responsible for expending energy from the cells. I get the same kind of “lift” from drinking a K-Tea.
Note: This isn’t a caffeinated beverage like coffee so the “lift” I refer to is like you have been on a mountain breathing clean air, not like you’ve just had a double macchiato espresso.
I am drinking a Kombucha Tea now made on Hibiscus Flowers and because it’s so super fizzy – naturally and without carbonation – it tastes like champagne. What a great treat (and a healthy one!) for the middle of the day!
So far I have only found one place and that is Kombucha Health in Darwin. There are places from the USA that ship it worldwide (such as Nick’s Natural Nook on eBay ) with full Starter Kits which is extra handy if you want everything together, so you can get into it.
I have listed some resources for you to read up on as well as buy from if you wanted to make your own K-Tea at home. I will be making some then posting about it later on – I can’t WAIT!
· Kombucha Food BlogSpot
· Move, Nourish, Believe have some great info and a couple of simple recipes for you to try out.
· Kombucha Health is the only Aussie website I’ve found that actually sells Kombucha Culture here in Australia, from Darwin for AU$25
· Grow Youthful has an abundance of information to read up on about the benefits of K-Tea
· Kombucha-Kamp is also a great website with lots of history and information to absorb about this wondrous healthful elixr
· KombuchaPilz is an interesting Dutch website (in English) with lots of facts and history
· Kombucha America has some great tips and hints too!
In the meantime, I am buying some cultures in Australia to make my own batch and then will post about it and some recipes I make up as I go along.
Love and K-Tea,
The Eco Mum xo